Thursday, August 02, 2007

Questions Worth Answering

Over 200 years ago, John Wesley gave his followers 22 questions to ask themselves every day in their private devotions.  The questions originated in the spiritual accountability group started by Wesley when he was a student at Oxford—a group that detractors called "The Holy Club."

  1. Am I consiously or unconsiously creating the impression that I am better than I really am?  In other words, am I a hypocrite?


  2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?


  3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?


  4. Can I be trusted?


  5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?


  6. Am I self-consious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?


  7. Did the Bible live in me today?


  8. Do I give it time to speak to me every day?


  9. Am I enjoying prayer?


  10. When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?


  11. Do I pray about the money I spend?


  12. Do I go to bed on time and get up on time?


  13. Do I disobey God in anything?


  14. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?


  15. Am I defeated in any part of my life?


  16. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?


  17. How do I spend my spare time?


  18. Am I proud?


  19. Do I thank God that I am not like other people?


  20. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, critisize, hold a resentment toward or disregard?


  21. Do I grumble or complain constantly?


  22. Is Christ real to me?

"Encourage one another daily . . . so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness" (Hebrews 3:13).

No comments: