Saturday, January 12, 2013

Musical Interlude: Peter Hollens

Okay, here a little break from Catholicity and Calvinism: Peter Hollens singing a song that is all the rage these days: Some Nights by Fun (yes, Fun is name of a group).  Peter founded the first collegiate a capella group in Oregon when he was a music student.  Now he has gone pro.  I like his version of Some Nights better than the original.  And the amazing thing is: He is singing all the parts himself!



Here is is covering I Won't Give Up, by Jason Mraz, and you can get a better idea of how he covers all the parts in a song by overdubbing.  The harmonies are just plain gorgeous.



Finally, here are Peter and his equally talented wife, Evynne, singing a piece made famous by Andrea Bocelli, The Prayer

If you like these, you can check out more of Peter's videos here.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! You're right. I just now took the time to listen to these. Great vocal blending -- what talent, both of them! Thanks for sharing your find, Robert. :)

Robert S. Munday said...

Jill,

Thanks. I am glad you enjoyed them.

Elf said...

I haven't listened to these songs, since I generally avoid listening to secular songs, but I have heard hs Misty Mountains from The Hobbit, and that was amazing. But my favourite is Skyrim. I saw his version, like the ones you posted here, but then also the video he did with Lindsey Stirling...and I must say that I am now obssessed with the Skyrim theme!

Elf said...

And, yeah, I think that I like Peter's versions of the songs better than the original ones. With Misty Mountains, he sings more verses that are in the book and not the movie. And with Skyrim, you can actually hear his singing and...well, its just amzing.. :D

Robert S. Munday said...

Padmé,

Yes, sci-fi/fantasy fans tend to really like Peter's versions of the Skyrim theme and Misty Mountain from the Hobbit. I like them very much, but I was hesitant to post those videos here because I am not sure they are the best introduction to Peter's singing. But they are great. I am glad you discovered them.